French-style Glazed Christmas Ham
Recipe by: Justine Schofield
- To make the cornichon butter, add a teaspoon of the butter to a small pan and add the shallots.
- Cook on a low heat for 6-8 minutes to soften. Remove and cool.
- In a mixer bowl add the soften butter and whip with the pickling agent until it become pale in colour.
- Mix in the cornichon, tarragon, cooled shallots, extra Dijon and cayenne.
- Place two sheets of cling film on a clean surface and dollop the butter into the center.
- Wrap into a cylinder and twist the end to make a bonbon-like shape.
- Place in the fridge for a few hours to firm up.
- Pre heat your oven to 170C.
- Carefully peel back the skin of the ham and with your hands ensuring the fat is kept intact.
- Using a small knife score a crisscross pattern in the fat.
- Place the ham on a rack in a large baking tray that fits in your oven.
- Add 1 cup of water to the tray.
- In a small saucepan heat the glaze ingredients together whisking to combine well.
- Using a spoon, drizzle the ham with half of the glaze.
- Bake in the oven for 1 ½ hours checking it every 20 minutes to ensure it does not burn and to baste each time with extra glaze.
- Rest for 30 minutes before carving.
- To serve, thinly slice ham. Spread cornichon butter over bread and drape ham on top.
- Garnish with extra cornichon and radish.