Gougères with Prosciutto and Herbed Cream
Justine makes the perfect bite sized gougères with proscuitto and chive cream
Recipe by: Justine Schofield
Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Preheat the oven at 180°C and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- In a saucepan, add the water, butter and salt and bring to the boil. Add the flour all at once and mix thoroughly until a smooth ball of dough forms and it completely detaches from the base of the saucepan.
- Place dough into a bowl and let it cool for a minute. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition. The dough should be elastic and drop off the spoon easily. Add most of the cheese (reserve some to finish) and nutmeg and fold through. Place in a piping bag that is fitted with a 1.5cm nozzle.
- Pipe 20-cent-sized mounds of pastry onto the prepared trays, leaving 3cm between each, as they will expand. Sprinkle over remaining cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Combine the sour cream or creme fraiche with the chives and a pinch of salt. Cut the gougères in half and add a small dollop of herbed cream and some prosciutto. Sandwich together before serving.