Apple with Scallops and Grilled Fennel
Sashi combines some delicious flavours to create an entree featuring apple with scallops and grilled fennel
Air Date: 29 Jul 2018
Sashi shows his skills with this delicate dish of scallops served with delicious stewed apple
Recipe by: Sashi Cheliah - Contestant
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- For the Scallops with Stewed Apple, remove the skin, remove the core, quarter and thinly slice the apples.
- Place olive oil and butter into a large saucepan and place over medium heat and sauté apples for 5 minutes. Add cinnamon and thyme and cook until for 2 minutes.
- Add brandy and cook until liquid has reduced by half. Add brown sugar and salt, to taste and cook until sugar dissolves. Cook until the apples soften, about 5 minutes.
- For the Roasted Fennel, arrange the sliced fennel on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Drizzle lightly with oil the fennel and season the fennel.
- Cook fennel in oven until golden crispy, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- For the Pan Seared Scallops, place a small frypan over high heat and add olive oil.
- Add scallops and cook on one side until seared and golden, about 20 seconds. Turn scallops and cook for 5 seconds.
- Lightly season with salt and pepper and remove from pan.
- For the Thyme Browned Butter, heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until solids in the bottom of the pan and turn slightly brown.
- Remove from the heat. When butter cools 80C and add thyme and infuse for 30 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve and reserve butter.
- To serve, divide stewed apple between each plate and arrange radish, julienne green apple and fennel on the stewed apples.
- Add 3 scallops to each plate and drizzle with Thyme Browned Butter and garnish with fennel fronds.