Battered Whiting with Parsley and Garlic Emulsion and Crushed Peas
Ben creates a beautiful dish that celebrates peas and whiting
Recipe by: Ben Borsht - Contestant
- Preheat oil in deep fryer to 170C.
- For the Garlic and Parsley Emulsion, bring a small saucepan of water to the boil. Blanch parsley leaves in boiling water, drain and refresh in ice water. Set aside on paper towel and pat dry with extra paper towel to dry thoroughly.
- Place garlic and chicken stock into a small saucepan and simmer over medium heat until garlic is soft, about 25 minutes.
- Add 100ml of the cream and bring to the boil then remove from the heat.
- Transfer the garlic cream mixture to a blender, add the parsley and the remaining 20ml of cream, and blend until smooth. Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a clean saucepan and set aside until needed.
- For the Crushed Peas, bring a small saucepan of lightly salted water to the boil. Add peas and blanch for 4 minutes. Drain and refresh in ice water. Transfer to a small saucepan and place over high heat.
- Add the butter and a pinch of sea salt to taste and cook until butter is melted, about 2 – 3 minutes. Using the back of a spoon, crush the peas slightly, keeping some whole, and stir to combine the pea mixture. Set aside until needed.
- For the Battered Whiting, place flour, salt and pepper in a bowl and stir well to combine. Place eggs into a separate bowl and whisk until foamy.
- Dip the whiting fillets into the seasoned flour and coat evenly. Then dip the fillets into the egg and coat evenly.
- Place the coated whiting fillets into the basket of deep fryer and cook for until lightly golden, about 2 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove the fillets from the oil and drain on paper towel. Season with salt to taste.
- To serve, warm the Garlic and Parsley Emulsion and the Crushed Peas. Place 1 tablespoon of Garlic and Parsley Emulsion on each serving plate and, using the back of a spoon, spread into a circle.
- Top with a spoonful of Crushed Peas and add a portion of Battered Whiting, skin side up.
Watch Full Episodes