Ben's Surf and Turf
Ben's surf and turf delight features a beautifully cooked Snapper accompanied by a Beef Jus served with Carrots and Snap Peas
Recipe by: Ben Borsht - Contestant
- Preheat oven to 250C.
- For the Madeira Jus, place bones into a roasting tray and roast in the pre-heated oven until golden brown and well roasted, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside until needed.
- Reduce oven to 160C.
- Place the olive oil, carrot, celery and garlic into a large sauté pan. Add 2 of the shallots, 3 springs of thyme and 2 bay leaves to the pan. Cook over high heat until caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- When vegetables are well caramelized, add half of the roasted bones, deglaze the pan with 100ml of the wine and simmer until almost dry. Add the tomato paste and stir, until a dark burgundy colour. Add the stock and bring the mixture to the boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer until liquid is reduce by half and is glossy and thick about 20 minutes. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a clean saucepan and discard the solids.
- Bring the liquid to a simmer over medium heat. Add remaining roasted bones, stir though and allow to simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Once simmered, strain the jus mixture through a colander into a large bowl, discarding the bones and set aside until needed.
- Heat a sauté pan over high heat. Once hot, add the butter and swirl around the pan to melt. Once butter is foaming, add remaining shallots, reduce heat and fry gently until shallots are soft and translucent. Add the remaining thyme and bay leaves and stir through. Add the Madeira and the remaining wine and simmer to reduce by half.
- Add the reserved veal jus to the Madeira reduction and stir to combine. Continue to simmer and reduce by half again.
- Once reduced, strain through a fine mesh sieve, discarding the solids. Transfer the Madeira Jus to a pouring jug and set aside, keeping warm, until needed.
- For the Hickory Smoked Celeriac Puree, place all ingredients, except the butter, into a medium saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil, once boiling reduce the heat to low and simmer until celeriac is soft.
- Once cooked through, strain the celariac through a sieve, reserving the cooking liquid.
- Transfer the cooked celeriac to a blender and pulse on high speed until a rough pureé. Add the butter and a little of the reserved liquid and blend on high speed until a smooth, soft pureé. Add more cooking liquid as necessary to achieve a silky smooth pureé.
- Fill a smoking gun with hickory wood chips and ignite. Once smoking, fill the blender jug with smoke and cover to seal firmly with cling film and then the lid of the blender. Allow the pureé to infuse with smoke for 5 minutes.
- Once infused, remove the plastic wrap, reseal with the lid and blend on a low speed to incorporate smoke into the purée. Repeat smoking and blending process again.
- Once pureé is smoked, pass through a fine sieve into a bowl. Cover with cling film and set aside until needed.
- For the Blanched Carrots, bring a small saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add carrots and blanch carrots until tender, about 5 minutes. Once cooked, refresh in ice water and drain on paper towel.
- Heat a small frying pan over medium heat. Add the blanched carrots, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt. Toss gently until carrots are warmed through and coated with the oil. Set aside, keeping warm, until needed.
- For the Baked Snapper, line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
- Dry the snapper fillets with paper towel and place onto the tray. Drizzle with oil and season with salt, coating all sides.
- Bake the snapper in the pre-heated oven until cooked though, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- To serve, place a Baked Snapper Fillet on each plate. Warm the Hickory Smoked Celeriac Purée and place a quenelle of pureé next to each fillet.
- Place 2 Blanched Carrots on each plates and scatter sliced radish over each dish.
- Drizzle Snapper with a little of the Maderia Jus and serve with the remaining Jus in a jug on the side.
Watch Full Episodes