Canh Chua Ca
Khanh's Canh Chua Ca is a sweet and sour broth featuring fresh barramundi
Recipe by: Khanh Ong - Contestant
- Preheat oven to 150C.
- For the Sweet and Sour Broth, place oil in a 4L saucepan and set over medium heat. Add fish bones and head and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Add shallots, lemongrass, spring onions, garlic and ginger and cook for 5 minutes. Add chicken stock and simmer to deglaze pan. Add fish sauce, tamarind puree, celery leaves, tomatoes, pineapple and chillies and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add dill, coriander, salt and sugar and simmer, covered, for 35 minutes.
- Strain broth, remove pineapple from solids and set aside for serving. Set aside 375ml broth in a small saucepan for Poached Tomatoes and Barramundi. Set aside remaining broth, keeping warm, until serving.
- For the Fried Garlic Chips, heat oil in a small saucepan to 180C.
- Add garlic and cook until golden and crisp, about 20-30 minutes. Remove from oil and set aside on paper towel until serving.
- For the Lemongrass Oil, place lemongrass and garlic in the bowl of a food processor and process until very fine.
- Heat vegetable oil in small saucepan set over low heat. Add the lemongrass and garlic from the food processor and salt and cook until lemongrass is golden about 3-4 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve and set oil aside.
- For the Vermicelli Noodles, place noodles in a large pot with hot but not boiling water for 10 minutes. Strain noodles and return to the pot. Add lemongrass oil and toss to coat. Set aside, keeping warm, until serving.
- For the Poached Tomatoes, place saucepan of reserved broth onto a medium heat and bring to a boil. Add tomatoes and cook until tomato skins split, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat. Remove the tomatoes from the broth, reserving broth. Peel and discard skins then set aside for serving.
- For the Poached Barramundi, season barramundi skin with salt. Place oil in a large frypan and set over medium heat. Add fish, skin side down, and fry until cooked halfway through and skin is crisp, about 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat. Remove fish from pan and set aside, skin side up, until cooled.
- Transfer to a deep baking tray and add enough hot broth to reach half way up the fillets. Place the baking tray in oven and bake until fish is cooked through, about a further 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven, keeping warm, until serving.
- To serve, using chopsticks roll Vermicelli Noodles in Lemongrass Oil into six tight bundles and place a bundle in the centre of each serving plate. Top with a Poached Tomatoes and Barramundi, reserved pineapple and Fried Garlic chips. Garnish with coriander leaves, saw tooth coriander, dill fronds and finger lime pulp. Add a little hot broth and serve.
Watch Full Episodes