John Dory and Abalone with Autumn Vegetables
For a seafood treat, try Ashley's tender John Dory fillet, served with fresh Autumn Vegetables, Pistachio and Seared Abalone
Recipe by: Ashley Davis
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- To begin, remove fillets from fish for John Dory, remove skin and discard. Portion into four 100g pieces and set aside in fridge. Reserve bones for Fish Nage.
- Prepare swede, squash and kohlrabi for Autumn Vegetables, set aside, and reserve trimmings for Fish Nage.
- Remove the abalone from shell, using a spoon to push against the inside of the shell and lift out the meat. Clean and trim the abalone and set aside in fridge. Reserve the dark blue liver for Fish Nage.
- For the Fish Nage, heat olive oil in a large frypan and set over high heat. Add fish bones and cook, stirring, until golden. Add the vegetable trimmings and cook until lightly golden and soft, about 5 minutes. Add 1 litre of water and bring to a boil. Simmer over high heat until liquid has reduced to about 100ml. Remove from heat and strain through a fine sieve. Return liquid to the pan and set over low heat.
- Add cubed butter, a piece at a time and whisk in until slightly thickened and emulsified. Add fresh oregano, sherry vinegar, salt and pepper and whisk. Add reserved abalone liver a piece at a time, until sauce tastes of the sea. Strain into a small, clean saucepan and set aside, keeping warm, until serving.
- For the Autumn Vegetables, place a large frypan over high heat. Add olive oil then add vegetables, marjoram and salt and stir to coat in oil. Add 1 cup water, cover pan with a lid and cook on high heat until soft, about 10 minutes. Add squash and cook for a further 5 minutes, ensuring some liquid remains in the pan. Set aside until serving.
- For the John Dory with Pistachios, place a frypan over medium high heat and add enough oil to the pan to just cover the base. Season fish with salt and place in hot pan. Cook until lightly golden, about 1 minute. Sprinkle with pistachios and top with butter.
- Place in oven and bake until fish is just cooked through, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside, keeping warm, until serving.
- For the Seared Abalone, heat a large frypan over medium high heat. Drizzle abalone with oil and season with salt. Add to hot pan and cook on each side for 1 minute. Remove from pan, rest for 5 minutes then slice wafer thin. Set aside, keeping warm, until serving.
- To serve, warm the Autumn Vegetables in the Fish Nage then arrange on serving plates. Add John Dory with Pistachios and Seared Abalone. Serve with remaining Fish Nage on the side.
Watch Full Episodes