Pavlova with Berry Gelato and Champagne Foam
This Pavlova with Berry Gelato and Champagne Foam will have you salivating
Recipe by: Ben Borsht - Contestant
- Prechill ice cream machine. Preheat oven to 150C.
- For the Berry Ice Cream, bring milk and cream to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat.
- Place egg, egg yolks, sugar and milk powder into the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk until thick and creamy. While whisking continuously, add hot milk/cream mixture and whisk together until combined.
- Return mixture to the saucepan and stir until temperature reaches 82C. Strain angalise into a large bowl and cool over an ice bath.
- Meanwhile, place berries, icing sugar and liqueur into a small saucepan. Place over a medium heat and cook until berries release liquid. Crush berries gently with a spoon. Transfer to a bowl and cool over an ice bath.
- Combine anglaise and berry mixture together. Pour 350ml into the ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions, until set.
- For the Sparkling Foam, dissolve sugar in sparkling wine in a small saucepan over medium heat
- Squeeze out excess liquid from gelatine and dissolve in sparkling wine, chill over ice until just cold.
- Add egg whites and citric acid to saucepan and use a stick blender to combine. Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a large ISI canister. Seal and charge with 3 cream bulbs, shaking well in between each charge.
- Set aside in the fridge until required.
- For the Meringue, line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
- Whisk egg whites in a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar increasing the speed to maximum until fully incorporated, and a thick and glossy meringue forms.
- Add remaining ingredients and whisk quickly to incorporate. Transfer mixture to a piping bag.
- Pipe 6cm diameter meringues 6cm in height. Place into preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 110C and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- For the Passionfruit Curd, combine eggs, sugar, passionfruit pureé and vanilla paste in a large metal bowl and set over a double boiler. Whisk constantly until thick and creamy. Remove from heat.
- Drain gelatine and squeeze out excess water. Add to the thickened egg mixture and whisk until gelatin has dissolved.
- Transfer the mixture to a stick blender canister and add butter, a few cubes at a time and blending well between each addition, until smooth.
- Transfer the curd to a piping bag and chill in the fridge until cold.
- To serve, pipe 3 teaspoon sized portions of Passionfruit Curd into the bottom of 6 deep sided serving bowls.
- Top with a quenelle of Berry Ice Cream. Add a meringue to each bowl and fill bowl with Sparkling Foam.
- Crush a freeze dried raspberry on top of the meringue and serve.
Watch Full Episodes