Pistachio Crusted Snapper with Crispy Potatoes
Sashi reinvents a classic fish and chip recipe by adding pistachio crumbed snapper and crispy, delicate potato fondant on the side
Recipe by: Sashi Cheliah - Contestant
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- For the Dill and Caper Sauce, combine ingredients together in a small bowl, cover and set aside, in fridge, until serving.
- For the Potato Fondant, using a 4cm cutter, cut 1 round from each potato and trim to level top and base to create a cylinder shape.
- Heat butter and thyme in a small, deep, oven proof saucepan over low heat. Add potato cylinders and cook on top and base until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes each. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Transfer to oven to cook until the potatoes are soft and have a crispy top, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside, keeping warm until serving.
- For the Crispy Potato, heat grapeseed oil in a medium saucepan to 180C.
- Peel potato and cut into matchsticks. Use a tea towel to remove moisture from potatoes.
- Deep fry the potato in the hot oil, working in batches if necessary, until golden brown and crispy, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel. Season with salt and set aside until serving.
- For the Baked Cherry Tomatoes, place tomatoes onto a lined baking tray and place in oven to cook for 5 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, heat butter and thyme in a large frypan set over medium heat. Add the tomatoes and cook, spooning butter over, until softened. Season with salt, remove from heat and set aside until serving.
- For the Pistachio Crumbed Fish, place pistachios on a small tray and toast lightly in the oven, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Transfer pistachios to a small food processor. Add panko crumb, butter, java peppers and salt and process to a coarse crumb.
- Press crumb mixture onto one side of each snapper fillet.
- Place olive oil in a large, ovenproof frypan and set over medium heat. Add fish, crumb side up, and cook for 2 minutes. Transfer frypan to oven and bake until fish is just cooked through, about another 2-3 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside, keeping warm, until serving.
- To serve, place a spoonful of Dill and Caper Sauce in the middle of each serving plate and top with a portion of Pistachio Crumbed Fish. Add a Potato Fondant and some Baked Cherry Tomatoes. Sprinkle with Crispy Potatoes and garnish with dill leaves.
Watch Full Episodes