Vanilla Mousse with Mandarin
This smooth vanilla mousse recipe has sweet and zesty flavours of mandarin, and is topped with a crunchy wafer thin tuile
Recipe by: Chloe Carroll - Contestant
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- For the Mandarin and Vanilla Mousse, place milk, ¼ cup cream and yoghurt in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over low heat.
- Meanwhile place egg yolks, caster sugar and vanilla bean in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whisk until pale, light and fluffy.
- Meanwhile, place remaining 1 ½ cups cream into a clean bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Whisk until soft peaks form. Gently fold whipped cream through the cooled milk and egg mixture. Pour into a deep 20cm square baking dish and place into the refrigerator to set, until ready to serve, about one hour.
- For the Mandarin Fluid Gel, place ingredients in a small saucepan and set over low heat. Bring to a boil, whisking continuously and cook for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and pour through a fine sieve into a small baking dish. Allow to set at room temperature.
- Once set, break into pieces and place into a small food processor. Process on highest speed, adding a little water until a shiny and smooth gel forms. Pass through a fine sieve then transfer into a piping bag. Set aside, at room temperature, until serving.
- For the Mandarins in Sugar Syrup, place the mandarin juice, caster sugar, cloves, star anise, ginger and 250ml water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Add the mandarin segments and set aside, to cool at room temperature, until serving.
- For the Tuile, place icing sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Turn the speed to the second lowest setting. Add the melted butter into the bowl in a slow stream and mix until a smooth paste is formed. Add plain flour and mix until combined. Add the egg whites, increase speed to medium and beat until the mixture is smooth.
- Spread mixture thinly over a silpat or sheet of baking paper. Place onto a large baking tray and place in oven to bake until light and evenly golden, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Break into shards and set aside until serving.
- To serve, place a scoop of Vanilla Mousse into the centre of each serving plate. Pipe a little Mandarin Fluid Gel on top. Top with Mandarin segments and little of the Sugar Syrup. Add a Tuille shard to each plate.
Watch Full Episodes