Chicken and Chips Pie with Mushy Peas
Miguel Transforms an Aussie Classic, Chicken and Chips Pie with Mushy Peas
Recipe by: Miguel Maestre
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Chunky Potato Chips
- Preheat oven to 220C fan forced.
- Fill a saucepan with salted cold water and add the potato batons. Bring to the boil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Strain potatoes. Using a fork, scrape the surface of the chips for maximum crispiness.
- Spread onto a baking tray and dry roast (with no oil) for 25 minutes until the surface of the potatoes are dry. Season generously and add olive oil and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat butter and oil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Sautee vegetables for 2 minutes and add the pancetta. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add chicken, cooking for a further 2 minutes until the surface of the chicken has whitened. Add thyme, chicken stock, mustard, sour cream and flour, stirring to combine. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan melt the butter over a medium heat. Add peas and sautee, stirring to colour.
- Season the peas and gently mash, retaining some texture. Set aside.
- Reduce oven to 190C.
- Take 8 individual pie tins. Using them as a guide cut out a circle around the top of the pie tin, allowing for ½ cm overhang.
- Press the pastry gently into the tin.
- Fill with 2 spoonfuls of the mushy peas, pressing to flatten
- Top with the chicken mixture, leveling it to the top of the pie tin.
- Top with chips so as to cover the chicken filling. Press gently to secure to the pie. Repeat with remaining pie tins.
- Bake pies in oven for 15 minutes. Leave to cool for minutes in the tin. Serve hot accompanied with aside salad.