David Thompson's Pad See Ew
Miguel catches up with one of the worlds greatest chefs David Thompson
Air Date: 21 Sep 2018
Quick and easy Thai Noodles that make the perfect meal
Recipe by: David Thompson
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
- Grind garlic, salt and white pepper in a mortar and pestle to make a paste.
- Heat a well-tempered wok. Make sure it’s very hot and thoroughly cleaned.
- Toss in the noodles and cook until starting to char. Sprinkle in the pepper.
- Drizzle in the dark soy and allow to deepen in colour and aroma.
- Remove noodles and place in a bowl or tray. Coat noodles with deep-fried garlic, sesame oil and pepper. Leave in a warm place.
- Reheat the wok. Add the vegetable oil, sesame oil and garlic paste and stir-fry over a low heat. Be careful not to let the garlic burn.
- Add blanched broccoli and yellow bean sauce, turn up heat and stir-fry and sizzle.
- Add fish sauce, light and dark soy sauces and pepper.
- Add the charred noodles. Toss and colour.
- Add the remaining seasonings, the fish and soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, pepper and deep fried garlic.
- Shuffle and fry and stir away until the sauces and seasonings are absorbed.
- Move the noodles to the side of the wok and pour in the additional oils.
- Fry the eggs in the oil. Do not over cook nor burn the eggs.
- Push the noodles over the eggs and then toss. Try not to break up the eggs too much.
- Make sure it’s not too salty and has a well-rounded taste.
- Place the noodles into the serving bowl.
- Sprinkle with white pepper, deep fried garlic and sesame oil.
- Accompany with the seasoning caddy – in Thai street cooking the diner always adds the final seasoning to the dish.