Miguel's Sweet Potato Shepherds Pie
Miguel is helping Mum, Katrina, spend less on food for her body building son
Air Date: 28 Sep 2018
Miguel prepares a delicious home-made Shepherds Pie
Recipe by: Miguel Maestre
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Heat 2 tbsp of the olive oil in a large pot over high heat. Add onion and carrot and cook until translucent, stirring to avoid burning.
- When translucent add the chopped garlic, stir for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Deglaze with 100mL of the chicken stock.
- Set aside the vegetables and rinse the pot.
- Cook beef mince in 3 batches. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil and cook off a third of the mince over high heat for 2-3 minutes to get caramelisation on the surface. Season with salt and pepper and set beef aside together with the vegetables. Repeat twice with remaining oil and beef mince.
- When last batch of mince is cooked, add all the vegetables and mince to the pot with the canned tomatoes, passata, remaining chicken stock and dried oregano. Simmer for 1 – 1.5 hours on low heat.
- Meanwhile, add the diced sweet potato to a pot of cold, salted water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and cook for 6-8 minutes, or until fork tender. Drain.
- Return cooked sweet potato to the pot. Add butter, cheese and milk. Season with salt and pepper and mash until creamy and smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- When the sauce has thickened and has intensified in flavour, remove from the heat and season with Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Stir through the canned legumes and fill 3 Tupperware containers with ¼ of the mince mixture*. Spread out the remaining quarter of the mixture over the base of a pie dish.
- Top the mince mixture with the sweet potato mash, making groves in the surface using a fork. Sprinkle with additional cheese and oregano. Cook for 20 minutes until golden and bubbling. Serve warm.
- * Freeze portions for up to 3 months to serve for other dinners such as nachos, spaghetti Bolognese, baked potatoes or stuffed vegetables. Always